Death is an inevitable fact of life. However, many of us never think about what we need to do until we are faced with the situation. It is at this time you need all the help and support possible to help you through the grieving process . We at the surgery are available to give you advice and guidance; however, there are certain practical steps you might need to know about. These are things that you will have to do:
IF SOMEONE DIES AT HOME
- Telephone the doctor and they will visit to confirm that death has taken place and also tell you how to obtain the death certificate
- Contact a funeral director who will be able to advise you on registration procedures
IF SOMEONE DIES IN HOSPITAL
- Contact a funeral director to let them know that their services will be required.
- Collect the doctor’s death certificate from the hospital
IN ALL CASES OF DEATH
- Make an appointment to take the death certificate to the registrar’s office for the area in which the death took place. Also take the deceased’s medical card, if available, and also details of the birth certificate. The registrar will then issue you with a green form.
- Take this green form to the funeral director who will take over responsibility for arranging the funeral and allow you to grieve in peace.