Pain in muscles and joints are common and seldom need to be treated by a doctor.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR
- Stiffness and pain especially with movement
- Strain due to overexertion
- Wear and tear
TREATMENT AT HOME FOR MUSCLE PAIN
- Massage affected part and keep it warm
- Take painkillers such as paracetamol or ibuprofen
TREATMENT AT HOME FOR JOINT PAIN
- Rest the sore joint
- Take painkillers as for muscle pain
Rest the sore joint
Take painkillers as for muscle pain
STRAINS AND SPRAINS
Rest the injured part.
Ice wrapped in a cloth – or a bag of frozen peas – can be used to reduce the swelling. But do not apply for longer than 15 minutes at a time.
Compress the injury gently with a bandage.
Elevate the injured part.
WHEN TO SEE YOUR DOCTOR
- If the pain in the joint or muscle does not improve after three days
- If the joint looks deformed
- If there is swelling
- If mobility is badly affected